Monday, March 30, 2009

Appreciate the now

Today one of my friends' friends husband passed away. I saw the news on her status update on facebook. He was a young guy, had 2 little kids. Tragic.

It made me think about my own family. Now with three wee ones running amok, if something happened to Mister, or to I, would they even remember who we were later on in their lives. I know they would know who we were, but would they remember us? Would they remember me reading them stories on the floor in their bedroom while the rainbow nightlight slowly flickered through the spectrum of colors? Would they remember crawling gin bed with me in the morning to watch cartoons while I nursed the baby? Would they remember going out in the yard with their dad to pick up sticks after the rain made the yard all soppy and green? Would they remember what we smelled like? The way my skin feels so soft or the way their daddy's stubble prickles their faces when he nuzzles them on the weekend when he doesn't shave. Would they remember? Will they remember?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Ames. But that's also why you put this blog together -- so that you can catalog it and provide it to them when they are older. It's a beautiful gift -- one that I am truly saddened that I never did for my daughter, that I always wanted to do since she was born. The bright side is that she's only three, and I can possibly play catch-up one day and finally get one put together!

Back to your entry...it is always so tragic when a young family has a parent taken away from them. Life's lessons are learned the hard way, early on for these children. They WILL know who their parent was though, from the musings of the other parent, other family members, and friends, to consistently tell them of their perished pearl.

Keep your journal/blog here going. It is truly beautiful. And...I'll keep you "posted" once I finally get mine up and running!

Love you,
Shara