Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blue Cats and Beach Babes

First of all, until recently (which specifically means the American Idol Motown episode) I had forgotten just how much I love the oldies. When I was in 5th grade I saw "Good Morning Vietnam!" and it opened a whole new world of music, to me anyway. The Four Tops quickly became one of my favorite bands and "Love Child" by The Supremes was easily my favorite song of the day. I listened to the records, yes, the vinyls, over and over, the scratchiness of the old needle just adding to the texture of the experience. These old songs are so much FUN to sing, and listen to.. they are easy and simple on the ears, any deeper political or social statements sliding seamlessly into the tunes, so that although they may be saying something, it steel feels like a happy diversion from the doldrums of the regular day. And the best part.... the lyrics are simple to remember. They are still some of the only songs I know all of the words to.

So, whilst waiting in line to get G's face painted at Alive after 5, the band playing in the courtyard struck those familiar six notes, right away I began to sing along. G was stunned that I actually knew a song, and Little L just gurgled with excitement that I was singing something other than Twinkle Twinkle.

Here is G's face... she is a blue cat if you couldn't tell....


The next morning, I went insearch of "My Girl" to add to this playlist, and when I finally found it, I decided I just must post the beach shots I did of Kel's girls, my kids and Stef's girls while we were in FL. This particular evening was GORGEOUS, and although all of my balloons blew away (who needs 'em anyway) the shots I got were spectacular. I will treasure this session, as I will all of the sessions from Florida. I couldn't have asked for a better 2 weeks of shooting.











No comments: