Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vancouver 2010

The Winter Olympics are here! The opening ceremonies were last night, and as is our tradition, we had a dinner of local Vancouverian dishes - almond crusted salmon, brussel sprouts with bacon, and roasted garlic and potato soup. This morning I made a goat cheese and asparagus omelette, and tonight we are having braised short ribs with mushroom & cream gnocchi and nanaimo bars. I got all of the recipes from this site: Edible British Columbia and made alterations based on what I could find (Almonds instead of pistachios, turkey bacon instead of pancetta)

The Olympics began on a sad note, with the death of a luger during a practice run. Many of the athletes wore armbands in recognition of the loss at the opening ceremonies.

One of the reasons I love to watch the ceremonies because I like to see the athletes' outfits... every country has such different styles and it is so fun to see. This year there was a pants war... Bermuda tried with their traditional Bermuda shorts and dark knee socks (so THAT'S where the German tourists got it from!),


the Czech Republic made a valiant attempt with some pants that made you feel like you needed 3D glasses to see them,


but the country that dominated the pants was was Azerbaijan... check out that paisley! Love it!



Some other highlights... when Bryan Adams forgot to put the mic up to his mouth when he was "singing" a duet with Nellie Furtado.. the amazing whales "swimming" across the floor, the fab spoken word artist and, of course, the lighting the Olympic cauldron. I also really enjoyed KD Lang singing Hallelujah... I heard the Canadian Tenors sing it with Celine Dion on Oprah last week and it has been stuck in my head ever since!

1 comment:

not-so-quiet mom said...

I wondered what you would make for your theme dinner. Most of it sounds like typical trendy PNW fare.

I also loved the crazy pants & loved "hallelujah."