Saturday, September 12, 2009

Being Ugly

"Quit bein' ugly!"

The first time I heard this phrase, G was bout 2 and I was picking her up from her daycare provider's house. One of the other kids was intentionally hogging all of the Hot Wheels and hiding the ones he couldn't play with under couch cushions so the other little kids couldn't play with them. It wasn't a new behavior for this boy... he did this type of thing with great frequency. But still...

"Oh my gosh!" I thought to myself, "What an AWFUL thing to say! Calling a child ugly! Horrible!"

After Little Guy was born, I started to understand. All of the sudden my sweet G had a green mean streak hiding underneath those shiny blonde curls. Yes, 98% of the time, she just loooooved her brother, but that other two percent. Oh that other two percent. That was just plain ugly. And that is when it hit me. It's not that G was actually ugly her own self, she was just ACTING ugly; and as we all know, beauty comes from within.

So heed this warning, little children: If you act ugly for long enough, it just might just catch up with you one day, no matter how beautiful your exterior starts out. And when it does, you start just .... bein' ugly.

2 comments:

not-so-quiet mom said...

That makes more sense than my mother always telling me to "stop being cute" or "don't get smart." Huh?

amy cohen-huffine said...

I know, right? I never did understand those reprimands... I mean I understood them, I just didn't understand why they would choose those words.