Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best of 2009

Every year I keep a "Best of..." list on the side of the refrigerator so I don't forget the things that really strike my fancy. I started this in 2005 with the intention of making a box of best ofs for each of my relatives, but when I started adding mp3 players and companies and the names of children and babysitters to the list, I realized that this would be quite impossible. So, I will share the top 15 of my 2009 list with you virtually instead :)

1. Little L - my precious baby.
2. Hamilton Beach Brew station Coffee maker - Mister and my mom both got me coffee makers this year - hers was the thermal carafe maker that I asked for explicitly and his was the brew station, where it brews a vat of coffee, keeps it warm without burning it from the bottom like regular coffee makers do, then dispenses it a cup at a time like a soda machine does. Ah technology.
3. Cellular Blinds - so I traded the brew station form my mom in for some cellular blinds. I repainted the dining room and now it is a nice, neutral white and picked up these cordless, insulating, soft light-creating wonders from Target. These are a must for anyone with single pane windows and/or small children.
4. Indestructibles books for babies - these books are chew proof, tear proof, machine washable and actually feel like real paper. Quite amazing...
5. Goldenseal, Echinacea and Schizandra extracts & Elderberry Syrup - saved us from the Swine Flu. Seriously.
6. Pampers Sensitive Newborn Swaddlers with the indicator stripe - When my babies were newborns - I am talking the first week to 10 days - there were often worries about how often they peed, since urination and defecation are signs of working internal systems. With G we had to put bits of tissue paper in her diaper to see if she was wetting since the diapers were so absorbent we couldn't always tell. With Little L they had these awesome diapers at the hospital which had a yellow stripe on the outside of the dipe that turned green when the baby hat wet. They were AWESOME - one less thing to worry about. They are available now at your local big box store - under the title of Pampers Sensitive Newborn Swaddlers.
7. Bolthouse Farms Yogurt salad dressings - I am always on the lookout for healthier salad dressing options, and these are the very best yet.
8. The Georgia Aquarium - we became members this year and have been to the "fish museum" at least five times since April.
9. The Entertainment Book - previously a skeptic of this product, in 2009 I went ahead and got one on clearance for $10 in June. Throughout the summer and fall we embarked on many excursions we wouldn't have considered otherwise - like ice skating in July. This year there is a coupon for 30% off Aquarium memberships - a deal we will be using when ours expire.
10. Yellow Pear Tomatoes - these yellow darlings grew in our "garden" last summer. ... I have no idea where the seeds came from since I had never seen this type of tomato before, but they sure were delicious!
11. Bookswim - after racking up enough late fees at the library to but at least 20 books, I found this Netflix-style book rental company. I am currently reading 3 books a month or so - way less than my maximum reading capability, but way more than before since it saves a trip to the library.
12. Lady GaGa - Just Dance.
13. Netflix Queues for individuals - Now we all get movies on our own timetables!
14. Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets at Costco - Kids love em, they are fairly clean, ingredient-wise, and 5 lbs foe $13 is a pretty good deal.
15. Sun Crystals - I am trying to reduce my sugar consumption so this Stevia leaf substitute sweetens my coffee in the morning now.

No comments: