Wednesday, January 23, 2008

{R} is for Rubbish

The Glad ForceFlex kitchen bags are really wonderful if you generate the amounts of garbage that we do. I try to recycle as much as possible, but I usually dispose of a bag a day. Yesterday, when I was taking the garbage out to the can, the bag was so heavy that it broke as I was tossing it in, causing refuse to be strewn across my driveway. As I cleaned up the mess, I noted that it was the diapers that were the very worst of it, which made me think about the men who collect garbage for a living...the garbage men. They must be some strong men, both in muscle and in stomach, to be able to to that job. I commend them. I am thankful that where I live I have the option of having my rubbish picked up for me and hauled away to be placed in a landfill somewhere, which I am sure will eventually be turned into a golf course.

The people of Naples (Italy), however, are not so fortunate. As I sit here in my clean(ish) house, in my fine little town, I feel awful for them right now. Waking each morning to a growing mountain of garbage outside their front door and in the middle of their roads...their children having trouble breathing because of the decay and rot that fills the air. Suddenly, my kid's stinky diapers don't seem that bad.

Read about it here

2 comments:

LaurieStar said...

Hi Amy -

Don't know if you remember me or not - I'm Chloe's mom from the Sept. List - just came out to check your blog! I still read the digest to keep in the loop - I love your pics! Grace is the cutest!

amy cohen-huffine said...

Hi Laurie! So good to hear from you! I remember you and Chloe..hope you guys are well! Grace is something else, I'll tell ya. Thanks for checking out my blog =)