Sunday, May 24, 2009

A bug named Lisa

Mister bought new sand yesterday for the green plastic turtle shaped sandbox that has lived in our backyard for the past two years. Mister cleaned out the sandbox, relocated it to the front yard and filled it with fresh, clean, soft new sand... just exactly what preschoolers dream of.

Immediately G and Little guy jumped right in, digging and building and just letting the sand run through their fingers. I called them in for lunch, and when they were finished they immediately went back outside to play again. I took Little L and fed her and the two of us napped on the couch. About five minutes later, Little Guy appears in front of me, clearly distraught. "G is mad" he says. "Why is G mad?" I asked. "Because Lisa won't get out of the sand." he tells me. "Who is Lisa?" I ask. "Lisa the bug" he says "G scoops her out with the sand, but she won't get out."

Gee, THAT explains it, I think to myself. "Well that's a bummer" I say to Little Guy. "Now go play."

Later, when the rain starts to fall and G comes inside, I ask her about Lisa. "Oh." she says "there was this black and that wouldn't get out of the sand. I was scooping out the sand with the shovel but she kept coming back". Sure enough, when I looked outside there was a pile of sand outside of the sandbox, and about 10 black ants (All named Lisa, of course) crawling around inside.

1 comment:

Laine said...

Hi Amy,

It's been a while since I've come to visit your blog. I just love it. It's been so long since we've spoken, but I remember you as this beautiful person and I love that I can still feel that with your words and pictures. I loved you then, all of those years ago, and I still love you now, even after all of this time. Love, Elaine