Saturday, February 16, 2008

Gift Giver

I had a very wonderful Valentine's day. I woke up late and the children were good to me, getting dressed without much prompting and even brushing their hair and teeth without being told. I went downstairs to brew a cuppa joe to get the morning rolling, and when I opened the cabinet to get out my coffee cup I found this:

I had been wanting this movie for months now, as I am definitely a Harry Potter fan. Not a fanatic, mind you, just a fan. If I was a fanatic, I would surely have owned this by now.

After enjoying my coffee and packing G's lunch, I went on a search and destroy mission for a clean pair of pants. Remembering that I had some waiting for me in the dryer, I went to the laundry room to get dressed. As I was squeezing into the freshly dried jeans ( I should really stop drying my clothes in the dryer, I swear they shrink a half a size every time) I look up and see:

Now I AM a Gilmore Girls fanatic. For 7 years Tuesday nights were sacred, my time to hang out with the Girls and learn a little bit about pop culture from the bits and pieces mentioned during their witty banter. Those Girls had some great writers. Yay! My collection is complete!

Finally I am dressed, the kids are ready, all buckled safely in their carseats, when what do I find waiting for me on the front seat but the newest release of my favorite artist, Mr. Jack Johnson! It had stickers on it, too, but I couldn't wait to listen to the cd and thus the stickers are in the garbage with the rest of the wrapping. Jack is a very soothing guy, and the icing on the cake of my wonderfully surprising Valentine's Day morning.

Which brings me to my wonderful husband, the gift giver. He is always so thoughtful with his gift giving, it really astounds me sometimes. Sure, there was the crock pot birthday, when he got me a crock pot, a little dipper AND the Fix it and Forget It cookbook (I detest crock pots, too messy) and the Costco underwear one Valentine's Day (he was thinking quantity, less laundry for me to do,I suppose); but then there was last Valentine's Day when he got me an assortment of dark chocolates and every single gossipy rag mag available so I could have a day of complete indulgence. And there was that Mother's Day that he got me my very first diamond necklace...a solitare that he had special ordered just for me. And one year for the holidays he got me a suitcase (which I needed) and filled every pocket with a different gift. He really is quite good to me.

According to my friend Di, gift giving is his love language. Love language or not, I'll take it. I hope he knows how much I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

No comments: